Job Display - Return to Search Results
Research AssistantAssociate Newcastle GB Job at Newcastle University
We are a world class research-intensive university. We deliver teaching and learning of the highest quality. We play a leading role in economic, social and cultural development of the North East of England. Attracting and retaining high-calibre people is fundamental to our continued success.
Salary: Research Assistant: £28,331 - £30,046 per annum
Research Associate: £30,942 - £38,017 per annum
Closing Date: 15 January 2021
This full-time postdoctoral research position is funded by an NIHR AI Award. The OCTAHEDRON project aims to create automated software for detecting early signs of neurodegenerative disease in OCT retinal images, via machine learning. (OCTAHEDRON: Optical Coherence Tomography Automated Heuristics for Early Diagnosis via Retina in Ophthalmology and Neurology). The project is a collaboration between neuroscientists, computer scientists, ophthalmologists and neurologists, at Newcastle University and regional NHS Trusts (Newcastle upon Tyne and South Tyneside/Sunderland). The work involves application of machine learning to the analysis and classification of OCT images, in close liaison with the NHS research informatics team and project team members.
This post is fixed term for 12 months.
For informal enquiries contact email@example.com or Jaume.firstname.lastname@example.org .
As part of our commitment to career development for research colleagues, the University has developed 3 levels of research role profiles. These profiles set out firstly the generic competences and responsibilities expected of role holders at each level and secondly the general qualifications and experiences needed for entry at a particular level.
- Contribute ideas and technological enhancements to the research project, under general guidance of the project co-investigators and in collaboration with the project team
- Determine, enhance and apply methodologies for curating and structuring the OCT image database; develop metrics for assessing OCT image quality, in collaboration with project team
- Develop machine learning network architectures for analysing and classifying OCT images; train networks and evaluate performance on image databases
- Assess research findings for the need/scope for further investigations
- Produce written reports of project work and contribute to formal writing up and dissemination of the results, through publications in appropriate journals
- Present results both internally (to project team) and externally to appropriate scientific and clinical conferences
- Contribute to supervision, with guidance, of final year undergraduate or Masters research projects, where relevant, and/or provide support to postgraduate research students or Research Assistants, where relevant
- Contribute to project-related public engagement events
- Interact with NHS and university staff on project-related activities
The Person (Essential)
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Detailed knowledge, prior experience and strong skills in machine learning techniques and their application to real-world challenges (either in academia or industry)
- Strong software engineering skills, especially using the python programming language
- Experience and strong understanding of image processing
- High level of analytical and problem solving capability
- Excellent ability to communicate complex information with clarity and to encourage the commitment of others
- Evidence of research achievements in machine learning (e.g. research outputs; conference presentations; technical papers)
- Knowledge of java and R programming languages (Desirable)
- Knowledge and experience of biomedical imaging (Desirable)
- Experience in deep learning (Desirable)
- Familiarity with high performance computing environments (e.g., HPC clusters, GPUs, Cloud resources) (Desirable)
- Experience in working in highly interdisciplinary environments (Desirable)
- Experience in presenting work at conferences (Desirable)
Attributes and Behaviour
- Proactive, problem-solving attitude
- Ability to work well as part of a team and rapidly acquire new skills
- Ability to prioritise tasks, take initiative and work independently
- Ability to incorporate constructive guidance from supervisors and collaborators in flexible, productive manner
- Track record of success in related project work
- Interest in innovation & applications of science to biomedicine (Desirable)
- Masters in Computer Science, Maths, Physics, Vision Science or other relevant discipline (Research Assistant level)
- PhD in Computer Science, Maths, Physics, Vision Science or other relevant discipline (Research Associate level)
- Candidates with demonstrably equivalent experience in industry are also encouraged to apply
Newcastle University is committed to being a fully inclusive Global University which actively recruits, supports and retains staff from all sectors of society. We value diversity as well as celebrate, support and thrive on the contributions of all our employees and the communities they represent. We are proud to be an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from everybody, regardless of race, sex, ethnicity, religion, nationality, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital status/civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, as well as being open to flexible working practices.
The University holds a silver Athena SWAN award in recognition of our good employment practices for the advancement of gender equality. The University also holds the HR Excellence in Research award for our work to support the career development of our researchers, and is a member of the Euraxess initiative supporting researchers in Europe.
Requisition ID: 5552More information on this Job
ID: 26866172 - Save Job
: HR Jobs
Our Vision expresses our
collective sense of purpose.
We aspire to be a peoplefocused university that
harnesses academic excellence,
innovation and creativity to provide
benefits to individuals, to organisations
and to society as a whole.
Newcastle University exists for the
public benefit to advance education,
learning and research. Our objective
is to build on this core purpose and, in
doing so, provide new knowledge and
creative solutions that make a positive
impact. We aim to work collaboratively
with our many external partners to
shape brighter futures, grow the
economy and champion social justice.
Newcastle University jobs
Lecturer in Public Relations Newcastle GB
Senior User Experience Designer Newcastle GB
Research AssistantAssociate Newcastle GB
Research Associate Clinical Pharmacology Newcastle GB
Yard Operative Middlesbrough DUR GB
HGV Driver Birmingham BIR GB
Digital Marketing Apprentice Stockton STT GB
Internal Sales Representative Southampton STH GB
Assistant Branch Manager Birmingham BIR GB
HGV Driver Nottingham NGM GB
Mobile Mini jobs
Royal Mail Group jobs
Premier Inn jobs
TMF Group jobs
Hippodrome Casino jobs
Dr Cymru Cyf jobs
pobl group jobs