Job Display - Return to Search Results
Senior User Experience Designer Newcastle GB Job at Newcastle University
We are a world class research-intensive university. We deliver teaching and learning of the highest quality. We play a leading role in economic, social and cultural development of the North East of England. Attracting and retaining high-calibre people is fundamental to our continued success.
Salary: £41,526 - £44,045 per annum
Closing Date: 3 January 2021
This is an exciting opportunity to join the a world-leading research hub in ‘Open Lab’, a dedicated group working at the cutting edge of Human-Computer Interaction (HCI), Design Futures and Digital Social Innovation.
You will assume the role of Senior User Experience Designer for Open Lab and the Centre for Digital Citizens (CDC) in collaboration with the National Innovation Centre for Ageing (NICA). You will play a vital role in supporting and leading design-led research between the institutions. You will specifically be responsible for leading the delivery of design projects and you are expected to proactively collaborate with researchers, supporting and managing the use of relevant technologies and facilities such as our maker space and contribute industrial and product design skills to research projects.
We are looking for an individual who is naturally collaborative, enthusiastic and resourceful to join our diverse and multidisciplinary team. You should have excellent problem solving skills, with the ability to take a leadership position in the team and work across disciplines, breaking down barriers to success.
You should be a skilled communicator and have excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to make project management decisions as delegated by the research group PIs. As a representative of the School of Computing, you will collaborate with our local and international stakeholders. Your work will enable the School to communicate our findings to our stakeholders and sell our vision for the future of social and environmental sustainability. You should be willing to travel locally and internationally at the discretion of your line manager and subject to national and University restrictions.
You will benefit from being based within the multi-award winning Urban Sciences Building on the Newcastle Helix site, a ‘living laboratory’ and an exemplar of sustainable urban development in the heart of Newcastle upon Tyne.
This is a full time, fixed term position, available immediately until the 31st October 2022 in the first instance.
For all informal enquiries, please contact Professor David Kirk, Director of Open Lab via email: email@example.com
For more information about the Urban Sciences Building, please click here
For more information about Open Lab and our research, please click here
- Responsible for leading or supporting the delivery of design projects within and between CDC and NICA, assisting collaborating researchers through the use of significant technical skills
- To be the design lead in research funding bids with the aim of selecting technically feasible projects with the potential to transform research
- To lead on the selection and use of appropriate hardware and software, including technologies for manufacturing, for prototype development
- Collaborate with researchers to develop appropriate design solutions to research problems
- Provide expert advice and assistance to clients and colleagues in problem-solving relating to design activities
- Present work and provide updates, including the effective communication of complex or technical information, at project meetings and events
- Develop and deliver training and support for Open Lab, CDC and NICA technical staff, researchers and students to ensure effective use of relevant technologies and to maintain and manage our maker space facilities
- Represent the Open Lab and NICA and disseminate information about them and their work at national and international events
- To lead on learning and development around design practices within Open Lab and NICA through the provision of documentation, training and advice in order to support the wider research community
- Undertake relevant training and development activities in order to develop an awareness of own professional development needs
- Maintain and develop extensive knowledge to keep abreast of the latest/most relevant technologies and design techniques
- Other duties within the scope and general nature of the grade as required
The Person (Essential)
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Extensive professional experience of UI / UX design, Branding, Interaction Design, 3D Modelling and Prototype Fabrication (e.g. 3D printing, laser cutting)
- Software development experience in a research environment
- Advanced skills using design tools, including Adobe Creative Suite, Sketch, Figma, Motion design, After Effects, Premiere Pro, Solidworks, Keyshot, Wireframing, InVision
- Track record of developing user interfaces and/or physical prototypes that are used by others
- Project management experience, leading software development teams Excellent communication skills including the ability to present complex or technical information and the ability to work with interdisciplinary teams
- Experience of design, deployment and evaluation of complex hardware/software solutions for large scale public deployment
- Understanding of a broad range of design methods (e.g. User Centred Design, User Research, Personas and Storyboarding, Competitor analysis, Prototyping, Affinity Mapping, Service Blueprints, A/B Testing) (Desirable)
- Experience of working with third sector and/or charitable organisations (Desirable)
- Management and maintenance of maker space facilities and provision of maker space skills training for diverse audiences (Desirable)
Attributes and Behaviour
- Works continually towards achieving success through understanding and meeting or exceeding the expectations of project collaborators, the University, students, colleagues and other stakeholders. Is enthusiastic in getting the job done on time and demonstrates high energy and commitment to the delivery of excellent service
- Generates a range of viable options and decides on an appropriate course of action that best fits organisational and area goals. Encourages creative and innovative thinking in self and others and makes decisions based on understanding the wider organisational needs and having considered a range of possible options
- Operates in a number of different teams and groups across the organisation, confident in adopting a range of team roles. Looks at ways of developing cross functional co-operation and support and looks to build alliances and relationships outside of the group
- Understands individual or group motives, understands the culture of a particular area, school or faculty. Is able to quickly and effectively learn the methods and language used within other groups
Planning and Organising
- Works in a planned and structured way, uses own and others’ time effectively. Sets own priorities in conjunction with team and area objectives. Quickly identifies what is important and prioritises accordingly whilst monitoring and controlling work flow of teams
- Degree in Industrial, Product or Experience design or closely related discipline
Newcastle University is committed to being a fully inclusive Global University which actively recruits, supports and retains staff from all sectors of society. We value diversity as well as celebrate, support and thrive on the contributions of all our employees and the communities they represent. We are proud to be an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from everybody, regardless of race, sex, ethnicity, religion, nationality, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital status/civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, as well as being open to flexible working practices.
Requisition ID: 5518More information on this Job
ID: 26866174 - Save Job
: HR Jobs
Our Vision expresses our
collective sense of purpose.
We aspire to be a peoplefocused university that
harnesses academic excellence,
innovation and creativity to provide
benefits to individuals, to organisations
and to society as a whole.
Newcastle University exists for the
public benefit to advance education,
learning and research. Our objective
is to build on this core purpose and, in
doing so, provide new knowledge and
creative solutions that make a positive
impact. We aim to work collaboratively
with our many external partners to
shape brighter futures, grow the
economy and champion social justice.
Newcastle University jobs
Research AssistantAssociate Newcastle GB
Research Associate Clinical Pharmacology Newcastle GB
Yard Operative Middlesbrough DUR GB
HGV Driver Birmingham BIR GB
Digital Marketing Apprentice Stockton STT GB
Internal Sales Representative Southampton STH GB
Assistant Branch Manager Birmingham BIR GB
HGV Driver Nottingham NGM GB
Regional Sales Support Teesside STT GB
HGV Driver Glasgow GLG GB
Mobile Mini jobs
Royal Mail Group jobs
Premier Inn jobs
TMF Group jobs
Hippodrome Casino jobs
Dr Cymru Cyf jobs
pobl group jobs